Breaking

Monday, January 6, 2020

Michael Jackson's accusers who featured in Leaving Neverland given the green light to sue his estate

Two men who say they were abused by Michael Jackson as children have been given the green light to sue the singer's estate.

James Safechuck and Wade Robson allege that they were molested when they were underage.

The allegations featured in documentary Leaving Neverland, but they were previously told they had left it too long to be able to sue.

Now a California judge has ruled the case can be heard, TMZ reports, meaning the duo can go to trial against MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures.

The companies deny the allegations against the former King of Pop, who died in 2009 aged 50.

Under a new law which came into effect on January 1, sex abuse victims can sue until they reach the age of 40.

Previously the statute of limitations barred action being filed after claimants turn 26.

Their cases are likely to be heard by a jury, TMZ reports.

The two men gave graphic descriptions of the abuse they said they suffered in the documentary Leaving Neverland, which was released last year.

They said they did not realise the singer's actions were inappropriate until they reached adulthood.

Robson first filed a lawsuit in 2013, claiming he was abused from the age of seven, but was dismissed two years later without a ruling being reached on his claims.

In 2014 Safechuck also took legal action claiming Jackson had sexually abused him for four years from the age of 10.

Again this was dismissed in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad